Recent Storm Damage Posts
The Science of Water Damage
SERVPRO of Cienega Inspections. Call now (323) 400-3400
Most of the materials in a home or commercial building are hygroscopic. This means that these materials draw moisture from the surrounding environment. All hygroscopic materials will reach equilibrium with the environment around them. With sudden water damage, drywall can soak up the moisture and be wet. The typical moisture levels of drywall are low. With the sudden water damage, the drywall soaks up and holds onto the moisture. However, over a period of time, the material will eventually reach equilibrium and release any excess moisture. The opposite is also true. If a piece of drywall is in a climate with very heavy humidity, the piece of drywall will match the environment around it and won't ever dry up. Luckily for us, we do not live in areas with extreme humidity like a tropical rainforest. This allows us to use our drying equipment to expedite the process of materials drying out to avoid any secondary damage.
Keep Our Oceans Clean
SERVPRO of Cienega. Call now at (323) 400-3400.
Do your part and keep our earth clean. It is important for everyone to clean our environment. Even if you do not litter in a storm drain or drainage ditch your trash can eventually end up in the ocean after a storm.
Here are a few good tips to keep our oceans clean:
1. Only throw your trash away in a trash bin. (Remember to recycle!)
2. Secure your trash bins before a storm. If possible, put your bins into a covered area.
3. Properly dispose of any trash that you may find on the streets.
4. Get involved in an ocean cleaning organization. Get your family and friends involved and plan and get involved with an organization that sounds appealing to you.
Change does not come easy. However, little by little we can decrease the amount of marine pollution and start cleaning the 5.25 trillion pieces and counting.
How to Prepare For a Storm
SERVPRO of Cienega Storm Preparation. Call now at (323) 400-3400
Storms can occur and cause a lot of damage to homes and commercial buildings. The only control that we can take is making sure we are best prepared for a storm. The following are some ways to prepare against a storm in combination with State Emergency Services (SEC):
1. Maintain your yard and balcony. Secure or store items that could blow around in strong winds.
2. Clean your gutters, downpipes, and drains regularly to prevent blockages.
3. Trim trees and branches that could potentially fall on your home or property.
4. Fix any damage to your roof, including broken or missing tiles.
5. Check your insurance policy is current and adequate.
6. Make a Home Emergency Plan for your family that outlines what you would do in an emergency.
7. Prepare an emergency kit with essential items in case you lose power or need to leave home in an emergency.
8. Listen to your local radio station and other media for weather warnings.
9. Get a tarp up or board up installed if there are any damages to the roof or windows.
What To Do After a Storm
SERVPRO of Cienega Storm Preparation. Call now at (323) 400-3400.
After a heavy storm hits, it is very crucial to make sure inspections are performed if there appears to be any damage that has already occurred. A roofing company should be contacted to inspect the roof. Roof damage can cause a lot of leaks and are harder to fix during a storm. It is very important to have the home inspected regularly and maintain the home. SERVPRO of Cienega can help place a board up or tarp up on the roof. This will provide a temporary solution until the repairs can be completed. If there are any visible signs of roof leaks or even concerns, our team can do a moisture check. Based on our inspection, our team can address any water damage that was caused to the house from the storm.
How Mold Forms
SERVPRO of Cienega Mold Remediation. Call now at (323) 400-3400.
There are over 100,000 different types of mold growth. However, there are 0 reasons mold growth should be found inside of a house or commercial building. Mold forms with an excess amount of humidity and/or moisture. When the moisture is not remediated in a timely manner, the small mold spores will start to feed off of the moisture and start to colonize and multiply. If mold is untreated and left for a long period of time, it can start to produce mycotoxins. Here at SERVPRO of Cienega, we treat all mold growth the same. Heavy and specific mold spores should not be found inside the home. If any mold growth is found we can provide a free quote for the mold remediation with the photo documentation or the hygienist mold testing.
Proper Strom Preparation
Animated big umbrella protecting a home from the rain
Dealing with the aftermath of a storm can cost a lot of time and money. Being proactive and planning during a storm is always a good idea.
Here are a few things to look out for before a storm:
- Has your roof gone through any recent heavy winds. Checking your roof for damage and placing a tarp up can save your home from water damage.
- Are all of your windows and doors secure. If not, we can place a board up to make sure further damage does not come to your window or doors.
Home maintenance and cleanings such as tree trims, gutter cleaning, and checking for any active leaks will keep your home in better shape. Most importantly, make a call to your insurance agent and make sure your dwelling and contents policy has no issues.