How to Prepare For a Storm
Storms can occur and cause a lot of damage to homes and commercial buildings. The only control that we can take is making sure we are best prepared for a storm. The following are some ways to prepare against a storm in combination with State Emergency Services (SEC):
1. Maintain your yard and balcony. Secure or store items that could blow around in strong winds.
2. Clean your gutters, downpipes, and drains regularly to prevent blockages.
3. Trim trees and branches that could potentially fall on your home or property.
4. Fix any damage to your roof, including broken or missing tiles.
5. Check your insurance policy is current and adequate.
6. Make a Home Emergency Plan for your family that outlines what you would do in an emergency.
7. Prepare an emergency kit with essential items in case you lose power or need to leave home in an emergency.
8. Listen to your local radio station and other media for weather warnings.
9. Get a tarp up or board up installed if there are any damages to the roof or windows.