What To Do After a Fire
Everything that is done before, during, and after a fire is very important. Here are some tips from State Farm on what can be done after a fire:
- Find a safe place to stay
- Don't enter back into your home until it has been deemed safe for re-entrance.
- Contact your insurance agent
- Contact your agent and file a claim.
- Protect your home
- Protect your home from any weather events or illegal entrances. Board ups, fencing, tarp ups might be needed to secure the property.
- Take care of your pets
- Have the pets be checked by a veterinarian.
- Get a copy of the fire report
- LAFD can provide a fire report. Your insurance can use this to determine the coverage of the claim.
- Address your finances
- Rent and all other bills will still need to be paid.
- Recover your possessions
- Get your contents replaced or restored.
- Take care of your family's mental health
- Look out for different coping mechanisms for yourself and your entire family.