Being prepared for a fire can save a lot of devastation and money. Here are some tips on how to prepare your home against a fire:
- Install smoke alarms on each floor and inside and outside of bedrooms. Test out the batteries once a month.
- Teach children what a fire alarm sound means and what they should do if they hear it. Practice STOP, DROP and ROLL with all family members in the scenario their clothes catch on fire.
- Prepare fire escape plans. Multiple escape routes should be practiced with different scenarios of the location of the fire.
- Keep fire extinguishers in multiple areas of the house, especially the kitchen.
- Digitalize any sentimental photos.
- Pack an emergency bag and keep it in the car. An emergency bag is great for all emergencies.
- Research your community fire plans or discuss evacuation options with family and friends.